Thursday, February 17, 2011

C/S: Picture: "Sad Vader"

I was browsing through 20x200 and I found this great picture by Alex Brown. It’s a limited edition picture titled “Sad Vader.”  I’m a big Star Wars fan and I couldn’t resist adding this great picture to my collection. I was almost to late as I purchased print 497 of 500.

On top of being a Star Wars fan, I love how the picture displays the emotions of being “sad.” The kid in the picture might be wearing a mask, but Alex Brown is able to capture the emotions of the kid at the right moment, head down, shoulders slouched and arms not visible “typical sad.”

If your looking to collect art or you want to support some great photographers, check out 20x200, they have a ton of great images, to suite all different photographic taste. I know this picture will not be my last one…

ARTIST STATEMENT:

In my photography, I am interested in the spontaneous documentation of scenes from daily life. I am drawn to moments of beauty and humor in the mundane that often go unnoticed.

This photograph was taken in a McDonald's restaurant in Upstate New York. The kid was sitting in the booth on his own wearing a Darth Vader helmet that made the same breathing sound as the character in Star Wars. For some reason, he reminded me of myself as a child. I always wanted a helmet like that when Star Wars first came out but my parents wouldn’t buy me one.

This photograph explores various themes that are central to my work and that are heavily influenced by the American TV, movies and pop culture I experienced growing up in the 80s.


THANK YOU 20x200 and ALEX BROWN FOR THE GREAT PICTURE!

© Michael Lopez

Follow me on Twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment