Saturday, July 10, 2010

Random thoughts (17) NYC 1st of many...

This was the first time I got to see NYC. With only 5 days, my wife and I tried to pack as much as we can with the amount of time we had. We stayed at Time Square which gave us the ability to be right next to a subway station that had trains going were ever we wanted without having to transfer much. We tried to eat as much NYC specific food, but that didn’t last long due to the amount of time we had. I know next time I head out their I will spend more time having NYC mom/pop owned food.

In terms of sight seeing I was able to see all of the regular tourist hot spots. Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Radio City Music Hall, MSG, Brooklyn Bridge and of course Statue of Liberty. The ones that meant the most to me was seeing Ground Zero, and relaxing in Central Park.

I was able to eat at some great places, but these 3 places were by far the standouts: like Tom Coliko’s Craft (REALLY GREAT), Serendipity and Magnolia Deserts. Check out my Yelp Reviews for a more detailed review.

I was also able to catch a Broadway show, with so many good reviews for each show, my wife and I decided to watch America Idiot based on the hit album from Green Day. We decided to watch this one because we love the music and it would be something we could relate to. The show was great, it moved fast and the songs made sense to the story they were trying to tell. I do recommend this show to anyone that wants to see a more modern Broadway Musical.

I feel that anyone visiting NYC should stop by Ground Zero and pay their respects to everyone that suffered due to 9/11. Seeing Ground Zero for the first time gave me an eerie feeling knowing so much was lost and the amount of devastation that 1 day can have.

On our last day my wife and I took the time to spend the morning relaxing in Central Park. If you have the time I highly recommend it, its one of the nicest parks I’ve ever been to. There are tons of things to do and see; the best thing about it is all the photo opportunities that are available. The scenery is perfect for Landscape shots, so many people doing so many different activities is great for photojournalistic style shots and the statues and friendly people are always willing to pose for Portraits. With the time constraints that my wife and I had, I wouldn’t change the hours we spent at Central Park, being able to relax and drift away was by far the highlight of my trip.

These past 4-6 days has been one of the busiest, tiring, but also exciting and RELAXING days for as long as I can remember. I can’t wait to go back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment