Friday, December 11, 2009

Random thoughts (7) "My First Hockey Game"

As a sports fan I have gone to many different events, but for the most part, I tend to watch the more common American sports like Baseball, Football and Basketball. For the past couple of years and since becoming an avid Golfer, I’ve grown to love PGA events. In regards to attending these sporting events I tend to spend my money on an event I want to go and that I’m accustomed to.


Tonight for the first time, I was lucky enough to watch my first professional NHL Hockey game. One of my Best friends got a job with the San Jose Sharks a couple of months ago and invited my wife and I to watch tonight’s game. The match was between the San Jose Sharks and the Dallas Stars. Being a sports fan and living in the Bay Area, I do have some basic knowledge of the sport; I’ve never really gotten into it and was pleasantly surprised how I felt when I walked into the arena and when the puck dropped for the first time. I can recall this feeling just like the first time I watched Joe Montana at my first Football game, Mark McGuire at my first Baseball game and more recently watching Phil Mickelson/Tiger Woods for the first time. I knew some of the better-known players on the Sharks and had general knowledge on how the sport is played, so I wasn’t totally lost. As the game went on and the two teams battled for the win, they got into some heated fistfights and played super fast. During all this action I looked over to my wife and noticed how much fun she was having. The one great thing about Hockey that has over all other sports is the fast non-stop pace that keeps every spectator on the edge of their seats.



© Michael Lopez

The game itself had two scores for both teams and was pushed into Overtime when a winner couldn’t be declared at the end of regulation. Overtime was intense as both teams tried to end the game with a score; both teams couldn’t close the game, which resulted into an Overtime Shootout. During the Shootout both teams were given 3 chances to score 1 on 1 with the opposing teams goalie. As exciting as the game already was, the Overtime Shootout ended in a 1-1 tie and was pushed to an even more heart pounding sudden death Shootout where each team takes turns 1 on 1 until a team scores and the other team couldn’t answer back. Unfortunately this Shoot out last 7 rounds and resulted with Dallas scoring and San Jose not being able to answer back.


As you can see not being a Hockey fan I was able to get into the game with Passion. As much as I didn’t know a lot about Hockey or the Sharks I was able to appreciate the nature of the game and root for a hometown team. My wife who rarely watches sports let alone get into it, absolutely loved the match and can’t wait to go back. I’m very appreciated how much it means to be able to take my wife to a sporting event where she stands up more than me cheers as loud as me. Tonight, even for the 2 ½ hours I was at the game, I’m very happy to be considered a fan of HOCKEY. THANKS K!


-ML

No comments:

Post a Comment